Welcome to the RobotCub summerschool, July 2008.
for the 2009 school, see this page: VVV09
Check out the VVV08 Demos
- Edit these wiki pages with username "vvv08", password on the board.
- Who's Who / Pictures' Page / VVV08 Demos (add photos!)
What about adding some more contact information in Who's Who (e.g. your skype id) so that we can keep in touch once the summer school is over?
- You can reserve a slot of time for using the robot (scheduling).
- Practical information: laundry service 8Kg of clothes to wash and dry in 1 hour for 7 euro (soap is free), click here for directions from hotel mira
- Free time information: A TV series hint: If you want to know what geeks live is like in an IT department: The IT CROWD
- Hints on how to resolve ip address conflict Conflicts.
- 1 How did you like the school
- 2 Wednesday, Day -1, Last Day, L'ultimo Giorno (day 10 of 10)
- 3 Tuesday Day -2 (day 9 of 10)
- 4 Monday Day -3 (day 8 of 10)
- 5 Sunday Day 7 (free)
- 6 Saturday Day 6
- 7 Friday Day 5 (Other free+open robotics projects)
- 8 Thursday Day 4 (Group work)
- 9 Wednesday Day 3 (forming groups)
- 10 Tuesday Day 2 (getting introduced)
- 11 Monday Day 1 (getting installed)
- 12 Links
How did you like the school
- Comments here
Wednesday, Day -1, Last Day, L'ultimo Giorno (day 10 of 10)
- Thanks guys!
- Dinner at the vis-a-vis. List of people registered for dinner. Time: 8.30 pm.
- Directions to the vis-a-vis: .
- Today we'll be finishing a little earlier, at 6pm.
- VVV08 Demos: add photos/links/screen-captures...
- VVV08 Wish List
- Yarp device tutorial coming, ready or not. Scheduled for after coffee.
- Text of tutorial: Making a new device in YARP
- Breakout meeting to plan some details of "icub-0.2", the second official release of icub software (the first official release hasn't happened yet, but we won't let that stop us. Scheduled for after lunch.
- After the school:
- We invite anyone who hasn't already done so to get on the Robotcub-hackers mailing list if you are interested in following (or contributing to) progress in the iCub software and YARP. People at the school have also mentioned Orocos, KDL, and Player, which have their own mailing lists.
- Think about the role that free software has played at the school and your own research.
- Think about the places during the school or in your research where you've had to use "tricks" or simplifications because there isn't time to implement something.
- Think about what parts of your own software you could tidy up and release under a free license so that people won't need to do tricks for that part. There's usually no explicit reward for doing this in academia, but you'll feel good, there is a good chance your papers will get cited more, and people you never met will do more interesting research because of you.
Tuesday Day -2 (day 9 of 10)
- Festival in Windows i.e. text-to-speech for the iCub.
- Sky-watching is on again tonight; there may be a clearer sky.
- No more verbal group updates; instead we are encouraging casual demos. Got something cool working on the robot? Call people over to see. Done something neat on the simulator? Hook it up to the projector and give us a look.
- Please post photos of demos (or screencaps of simulator) on VVV08 Demos.
Monday Day -3 (day 8 of 10)
- Welcome back to the school after a relaxing week end. We hope you had fun!
- The sky-watching night is confirmed for tonight (there is also the possibility to repeat it tomorrow). More details later in the day. We might get some wine and dessert. Time: 10pm. Please sign up here as soon as possible. Dinner as been moved to 8pm. The telescope will be ready 9.30 on the terrace just outside the summer school main room (same floor).
- This week: anyone who hasn't used the real robot is strongly encouraged to - sign up on the RobotScheduling page
- This week: try to create integrated robot behaviors, for examples see Experimental Investigation 1
- We'll check in with the groups again:
- Meeting: simulator v. reality
- Joint work between Visual attention and Grasping groups
- Some updates to VVV08 Wish List
Sunday Day 7 (free)
- The free day. But what to do? Here are possible trip targets as well as a trip idea where you can sign in.
- Did you enjoy it?
Saturday Day 6
- Luis is now Jonas. Welcome Jonas!
- Today we plan to finish earlier, by 4pm
- How about a friendly game of *StarCraft* today before dinner? Sign up here:StarCraft
- Federico will do a Orocos-KDL beginners tutorial at 2:00pm (from a beginner point of view) KDL-simple
Friday Day 5 (Other free+open robotics projects)
- Today and tomorrow we have people from Mascha Film Munich filming a documentary about robotics for international television and german cinema (the film will be released in 2009).
- Important information for Sat and Sun dinners. Please read and sign yourself up here Dinner information!
- VVV08 Wish List started, add YARP/iCub/simulator/... features you'd like.
- Talks today:
- We'll be looking for another group update today, sometime after lunch. Pick someone to talk. Should not be the same person as yesterday (unless you are a group of one).
- Future talks:
- Federico will talk sometime in the coming days about KDL from a new user's perspective.
- Is there a talk you'd like to give or hear? Tell Paul/Lorenzo/...
- Group updates:
Thursday Day 4 (Group work)
- Coming up sport events. This evening: volleyball.
- Each group should maintain a page saying briefly what they are doing and giving links etc.
- We'll be asking for a quick update from each group during the day.
Wednesday Day 3 (forming groups)
- Access to the robots
- robotcub.org will be down for some time today.
- Vadim has updated the simulator, with fixes for getting images from the virtual cameras in the robot's eyes.
- Ideas for groups? You can organize yourself with others, or if you don't have a specific idea you can follow the following task list:
Enigmatic message preserved for historical analysis by posterity:
Last news! :D Hi to every guy! Would you like to play football (friendly) at the beach tis evening after dinner? Let us know! :P Oh! Rectification! Some guys talks about before dinner... Mmm.... I feel confused... Gazed and confused... :| -- (4.58 PM) A piece of new just arrived: 7.00 in front of the "Mira" hotel! We hope to see you in a huge number! :D
Tuesday Day 2 (getting introduced)
- Controlling the simulator2 - another way to control the simulator.
- People introduced themselves, presentations here: VVV08 Participants (wiki code examples from previous years: previous years)
- Some YARP Tutorials
- An example on how to receive/send commands from/to the robot or simulator (zip archive) - this is the code Lorenzo showed yesterday (small fix from Katrin)
- ICubForwardKinematics - the details of the robot joints and measurements.
- ICub joints - names of ports, and indices for motors for the robot (the simulator is the same, with "/icub" replaced by "/icubSim").
- Using a shared simulator
Monday Day 1 (getting installed)
Getting started. As in the good tradition of the VVV summer schools, we got our daily power shortage. We will spend the first day getting yarped!
Introduction: Giorgio's presentation on the iCub.
- YARP Namespaces are a way of running multiple non-conflicting name servers on a network
- Use Namespaces to run your own name server avoiding any conflicts with other participants. e.g.
yarp namespace /yourname yarp server yarp check
- Simulator README, for compiling and using the simulator