This website uses browsing/session and functional cookies to ensure you get the best experience. Learn More
From Wiki for iCub and Friends
Back to normal life
- We are preparing a poster for IROS where the iCub is going to be exhibited and will run demos. If you have photos with the iCub (with you or the iCub alone) and would like to be included then please email them to Matteo Tamboli at matteo.tamboli _(at)_ iit.it by September 1st (sharp deadline).
Tomorrow, the school is finished
- Check out from the Due Mari, please note that you have to check out and pay minibar and other personal expenses at the Due Mari. You don't have to pay the room and dinner (which is included in the school registration fee). Check out if I'm not mistaken is by 10am (please speak to the hotel staff if you need to stay longer/later).
- Leave a message -> impressions from the vvv11
Day 10 (Wednesday)eucognition.org
- Afternoon: demonstrations from groups. See the groups schedule.
- Dinner: there will be a special dinner on the 27th of July at Polpo Mario (here in Sestri Levante). Please sign up here.
Day 9 (Tuesday)
- We should take a group photo Tuesday. Sometimes people leave the school a little early, so best not to wait for the last day.
- Any volunteer to organize photo location, find everyone, and take group photo?
- We could do it at 18 in the balcony.
- Remember to fill this ! VVV11_Pictures
- Black iCub Time Schedule
- White iCub Time Schedule
- Update on how groups are going: Groups 2011
- Skin Tutorial, 11:00 - slides posted, see VVV11_TimeTable#Tuesday_Week_2
- OSX users: please add any installation tips or glitches here Homebrew.
Day 8 (Monday)
- Ali Paikan PhD at IIT will speak about his work on the definition and management of iCub applications (about 11:30 am).
- Prof. Davide Brugali from University of Bergamo will be visiting us today (http://robotics.unibg.it/people/brugali.html). He will give a talk in the afternoon (see schedule VVV11_TimeTable#Monday_Week_2).
Day 7 (Sunday) FREE DAY
- No school on Sunday!! You can go to the beach or visit Cinque Terre .
- or go to Island of Palmaria - not so crowded :) 
- ...or play VVV11_Starcraft
- Lot of people have been talking about going to Cinque Terre. The suggestion is we leave by the 11.45 or 12.18 train to Vernazza.Then we go to Manarola and Riomaggiore following the trail. I think it will be a good idea to meet at the lobby at 11 am.
Day 6 (Saturday)
- 14.30: Group presentation. Quick introduction/presentation from a representative from each group.
- School closes at 15:00 you have free afternoon.
- Please sign up for dinner we need to tell the restaurant the number of participants. Please sign up here.
- Forming Working Groups: Groups 2011
- VVV11 Pictures
Day 5 (Friday)
- Forming Working Groups: Groups 2011
- We'll have an invited speaker today (3pm): Nikolaus Vahrenkamp will be speaking about planning manipulation on humanoids. He's from Karlsruhe Institute of Technology working on the Armar III robot.
- The VVV Traditional Starcraft is being planned check/suscribe here VVV11_Starcraft
Day 4 (Thursday)
- Ugo gave the tutorials on Cartesian Interface and Gaze Interface (look the time-table for details)
- Whatever task you'd like to code for the iCub, here at summer school or at your work place, please consider browsing the main and contrib documentation; therein you can find useful modules already implemented that might help you saving time and also avoiding reinventing the wheel :)
Day 3 (Wednesday)
- Application manager tutorial, 9:45am, Lorenzo (moved from yesterday) (added some notes for Linux)
Rest of Paul's tutorial will be squeezed in somewhereEven better, Lorenzo covered this.
- Anyone taking pictures? Please post links!
- Stanford students create Jedi robot! Could iCub beat him?
Day 2 (Tuesday)
- Paul's YARP tutorial code available VVV11 TimeTable#Tuesday
- Lorenzo's CMake tutorial, slides and code available VVV11 TimeTable#Tuesday
- Afternoon shared with workshop on multisensory space perception: VVV11_TimeTable#Tuesday. May need some (temporary) reorganization of desks/chairs.
- If anyone needs/wants to use dynamics (e.g. joint torques), I created a WholeBodyTorqueObserver module for the simulator, called simWholeBodyTorqueObserver. If you are not familiar with dynamics or force control, there's a nice wiki page on force control with extra information on the wholeBodyTorqueObserver, and one on the iDyn library used to compute dynamics. Let me know if you want to use it, or better test it! Serena
- New research into the uncanny valley that makes human-like robots so creepy. -- MJC.
Day 1 (Monday)
- For a thinking/chatting break, feel free to use balcony. In coffee break / lunch area, go through the door beside the catering table, then turn left through glass door.
- VVV11 Participants
- Please add yourself to the participant list.
- Later today, VVV11 Participants will be shown on a projector, and we'll introduce ourselves to each other.
- How to upload a picture: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Managing_files
- How to show a picture: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Images#Rendering_a_single_image
- VVV11 TimeTable#Tuesday
- YARP and iCub Windows installers available from USB key (ask Lorenzo)
- More updates: VVV11 Installation
- VVV11 How to start the robot
Welcome to the school!
- Official school site - http://eris.liralab.it/summerschool2011
- Official school receipt: please ask Giorgio about your official receipt of the registration fee.
- VVV11 Participants
- VVV11 Travel - tips for getting to the school. And remember, the school is BYOL (Bring Your Own Laptop)
For editing this wiki, you can ask for your own username/password (email firstname.lastname@example.org to get an account) or use the username "vvv11" and password "s*str*" with the first star replaced with "e" and the last star replaced with "i".
Courses/tutorials/events proposed by participants:
- Beginner Course on how to start up working with the iCub robot and use the system for experiments/studies
Here are summer schools from previous years: